PAMPER | Afternoon Tea

Tuesday 8 July 2014 ·

As you know from my last post (click here if you haven't read it yet!) my mum came down to London a couple of weeks ago for a girly day and I had a little surprise up my sleeve for her to celebrate her birthday. After a morning of mooching along Kings Road, ending up in our favourite shop, Anthropologie, we headed up to Mayfair for the surprise, afternoon tea at Browns Hotel. She was so excited when we stopped outside and I told her what her surprise was, it even got me a little emotional... 

 
It wouldn't have been a birthday celebration without a little tipple so we both chose the Rosé Champagne Afternoon Tea which included a glass of Ruinart Rosé Champagne each as a little added luxury. 
They keep things simple with delicious crust-less finger sandwiches to start with your typical English fillings; from cucumber with celery salt to roast beef and beetroot horseradish. Luckily the waiter gave us a heads up when he brought us our little tower of heaven and reminded us that there are fresh tarts and cakes for afterwards, and so although we could have unlimited food we restrained ourselves early on so we could appreciate every last morsel! 
Next up we moved on to the sweet offerings which included Pimms jelly, battenberg cake and mini pavlova, is it just me who thinks that anything in miniature form tastes SO much better?? I managed to save room for some freshly baked strawberry tart afterwards and I am so glad I did! Oh and of course we can't forget the most important part of a traditional English afternoon tea...the scones. We were given a selection of both plain and fruit scones...still warm from the oven - can anything beat that? 
At this point our eyes got a little too big for our stomachs and when offered a refill of our tower we couldn't resist and yet the second it was placed on the table I think we both instantly regretted it as all the tea and cake was starting to catch up with us! 
 

Right as we were reaching the point of needing a little power nap in our comfy armchairs the pianist starting playing happy birthday and they bring this adorable mini pavlova, complete with candle, as a little added touch to celebrate mum's birthday. I'd completely forgotten mentioning this when I booked our table so it was a surprise for both of us! 
They kindly let us box up our leftovers (which Matthew was very happy about when we saw him a little later at Madison Tapas and Cocktail Bar) hence the cheeky little take away box! 

This was such a fantastic way to spend the day with my mum, although she and my dad come to London fairly regularly I don't often get to have a girly day! We've officially decided to make it an annual event and work our way around the London hotels sampling each of their afternoon teas! At least that way we might be able to have our say as to whether Browns Hotel really does do the best afternoon tea in London! 

I highly recommend afternoon tea as a birthday present or even just as a little treat for you and some girlfriends. Have you been for afternoon tea anywhere? I'd love some recommendations to add to my 'Afternoon Tea Bucket List'. 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post,dear!
    Keep in touch xx
    Antonella

    ReplyDelete